When we met, my husband had a coffee table that I disliked basically immediately (he and I have very different taste, which is not a giant problem, unless we’re discussing furniture or decoration for the house).
It was huge, blocky, and dark, but he was attached to it, so it made a couple of moves with us. Eventually it got pretty banged up (I’d like it noted that I had nothing to do with this; I can’t even lift the thing) and I started plotting it’s demise. Or rather, it’s transformation into something better! I turned it into a window seat to go in front of the bay windows in our room:
Now, the idea was originally to turn it into an ottoman. I’m sure we’ve all seen those DIYs on Pinterest, right? Turn your old coffee table into an ottoman, it’s so easy! And maybe it would be, if I actually planned anything :P. Unfortunately, the coffee table was pretty tall to begin with, and was only more so after it was covered. The plan was to saw a few inches off of the legs…but we found out (after covering of course) that there are actually steel bars running through those legs. It made it super stable, but there was no way we could saw through those things. This was right before we moved to our new house (everyone knows that right before you move is the best time to start a project like this), so we weren’t even sure what our space would look like and if it would fit. Once we got all moved in, it worked really well in front of our windows; it kind of pulls things together, gives us extra sitting space, and provides the kitten with a spot to monitor the neighborhood.
Now, I did plan ahead enough to rope my husband into drilling me some holes before covering it, with the idea that the top would be tufted.
In hindsight, I really just could have made a cushion for this thing and it would have been more than fine, but I like to do things the hard way, apparently. So after the holes were drilled, we covered it in three layers of foam and then some batting to make sure it all stayed put.
I’m not going to lie to you, it is not pretty on the inside, but it looked good after we covered it in some navy upholstery fabric (we staple gunned to get all this to stay in place). Luckily for me, I have similar taste regardless of the room I’m decorating, so the blue we picked ended up matching incredibly well with our quilt.
And then, we moved, and…it sat there. I somehow did not get a picture of what it looked like plain, without the tufting, so you’ll just have to trust me when I say that it looked okay. But every time I walked by I thought to myself “I really need to add the buttons to that…”. I finally woke up one morning (7 months after we moved; I really need to get better about that) determined to get it done. I have no idea how people who actually know what they’re doing make tufting on furniture, but my method worked fairly well, I think. I used a darning needle and some leftover yarn, then threaded them through each of the holes we’d pre-drilled.
I threaded each end of the yarn on the underside of the seat through a spare button that was slightly bigger than the hole, and tied it tightly to keep it firm. I could have sewed the top buttons on at this step, but I used ones that I had covered myself (with polka dot fabric left over from making the quilt), and it was just a little easier to glue them down instead. I broke out the hot glue gun and filled the little dent with glue, then stuck a covered button in it.
It took about an hour and a half for the tufting and buttons; my advice if you’re going to try this would be to wear gloves. My fingers got pretty raw from trying to manipulate the darning needle/yarn/fabric.
So there you have it! I think I would approach it differently if I were to do it again, but I’m really happy with the transformation, and even my husband has to admit he likes it :).